12.21.2008

What Really Matters

During this holiday season, many people in this country and around the world are concerned about their economic security. For some, this is a mild discomfort - but for many millions more, it is a vague, threatening feeling lurking just under the horizon of consciousness or a massive, in-your-face reality. Regardless of the source or reason, it is impacting us all.

This year, we started shopOrganic.com. In January, the future seemed bright and shiny and full of possibilities - all of which included wild success. In the spring, we saw the problems in the housing market and knew it would 'soften' the economy a bit, but we remained optimistic. By fall, we saw the impending collapse of the mortgage and insurance giants. Concerning but still manageable. We remained optimistic. Then came the broader collapse of...well, many more giants in the financial industry.

We started thinking, 'wow, what unfortunate timing we had, to open a business in a year of historic worldwide financial problems.' Still, we remained optimistic. OK, some of you might be thinking 'these folks must be insane to remain optimistic in the midst of this mess.' Maybe. But I see it differently. Let me digress just a bit further and we'll circle all the way back in a moment.

I was listening to NPR a few months back. They featured an interview with the woman who is CEO of the company that owns International House of Pancakes (aka IHOP). I'm always interested in hearing how others approach business, especially in businesses very different from those in which I have experience. The interviewer asked the CEO how she handled a particular problem and she answered 'I focus on what I can do. I can't control the economy. I can't control my competitors. So I focus on the things over which I do have control.' Sounds a lot like a 12 step program...and it's still sage advice.

So, back to the issue of control, as promised. Do I wish the economy was better? Yes. Do I wish it wasn't impacting me, my friends, my family and my co-workers? Absolutely. But I have no control over these macro-economic issues. I can write my Congressional representatives or contact the President-elect at change.gov - but I alone will not impact this situation. So, it comes down to choices - financial and otherwise. I'm trying to make wise financial choices that include spending where needed (doing my part to keep the economy chunking along) and being wise with my funds. I'm also choosing to remain optimistic. After all, how I view things may not control the outcome but it certainly controls my experience of it.

I've been living on a pretty strict budget this year because I knew I'd be spending all my time and money starting this business. I've already learned to tighten my financial belt and I've developed new habits as a result. And along the way, I discovered something really important. When you actually take away all the 'stuff' we grow so easily accustomed to, you're left with your self, your life, your relationships. It's like cleaning out a room only to discover the most magnificent hard wood floors hidden under that hideous old worn out carpet. I've talked with friends in the past few weeks who all have experienced the same thing - a renewed sense of love and appreciation for what they DO have in their lives. So, while we're in a tight spot as a nation and a planet, we have a unique opportunity to take a new look at what we do have. We can cherish the people in our lives that bring us joy, comfort and friendship. We can choose to be optimistic and find ways out of this jam - together.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am printing your letter and passing it on to my family and friends.We must all continue placing one foot in front of the other and we will all make it through this. The power of positive thinking, "The Secret", and the messages in, A New Earth will help us see it through. We must believe it will and indeed it will. Thank You, Anne : )

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the wonderful message. You helped brighten my day. I was not going to open "sales" e-mails, because I didn't need to buy anything, but something told me - It's Christmas, go ahead and see what people have to say... and look what a wonderful message I received from you!

Happy Holidays - Sara Lou

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful perspective! This writing rung true with my beliefs and what I do to create my life. When you get down to the bare bones of things, you do discover what really matters.